| Refugee Conference, Athens Greece, Nov 2-4, 2017. This was the opening dinner. We have 4 refugee couples in Europe, 2 welfare couples from Frankfurt/ Stays and Canfields, Gilles our boss in Frankfurt, and also Bruce Muir (retiring as director of Humanitarian Services of the Church) and Ty Johnson (taking Bruce Muirs job) I need to put the 'outcome' of the Athens conference: "Business as Usual". Best outcome imaginable. Here's the cool story: Since there are less refugees arriving, should the funds go to places with more need? Ex Harvey, Irma, Myanmar, etc. The thought was yes. But the members of the church have been so generous that the coffers are still full! The Presidency doesn't want the money sitting in the bank, they want the money out helping those in need. So we continue. The only change is that our funding will not come from 'emergency relief' but 'sustained relief'. Chokes me up and humbles me each time I think of it. There is still a need and those needs will still be addressed thanks to the generosity and kindness of the Latter-Day Saints! |
No two days are alike on your mission...am I right? A life full of service, good people, and historical sights. I know it's not all perfect, but pretty close right.
ReplyDeleteMel, you nailed it. We LOVE our mission. As you said, nearly perfect. Fits us like a glove. Not much we would change. We feel very blessed.
DeleteI cant even put into words how awesome the church and you all are!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think "busy" is an understatement. :)
ReplyDeleteSo great that you guys can still help the refugees. There is still a lot of work for you to do. I’m glad the funds are there to help you do it.
ReplyDeleteI do see a bit of Isa in that girl!