Wednesday, May 17, 2017

A letter to Zane

I got an email from Lara who said that Zane asked her this question after looking over some of our blog posts "How are Grammie and Pop doing?  Is this just breaking their hearts to see so much pain and sadness?"
Maybe my response to Zane will help to explain to your children what we are doing on our mission. And maybe answer some of your questions as well!


Dear Zane,
It really warms my heart that one of your questions is about how we are handling what we are seeing and feeling.  That means you have put yourself in our shoes and you know how you would feel (sad and frustrated!)....it is tough to know so many of our Heavenly Father's children have to suffer.  And will continue to suffer.  And for what???

The next question that pops into your head is 'How can we make it better for them?' and 'What can I do?'...and there is not an easy answer.  What you want to do is give them a home with their family where they have a job and a home and school to attend and a day where they can play sports or play music or hang out with their friends.  (Wait a minute!  That's what you have!  That's what I have!  Do I feel guilty about that?  In a way, but I also feel very blessed indeed.  But I digress)  

Just to make you feel a bit better.  On the whole, these boys, many that are Daphne's age, have gone through some things that no human should have to experience.  I wonder how I would react if it was me.  Some of the ones we have talked to are determined to make a better life for themselves, no matter how hard it is.  It's impressive.  They live in a camp, they are uncertain about their future, most of their family is either dead or back in Africa.  But they have hope.  They are the pioneers starting a new life for their future families and are also helping their family back home by sending what money they can to their family in Africa.  Still, sometimes when they remember what they have been through they cry.  They don't want to but sometimes they can't help it.  Can you blame them?

Ok.  What Pop and I do (in behalf of LDS Charities) is partner with organizations that are helping the refugees.  We make 'projects' that provide medical help.  Some provide psychological help. Some provide legal assistance.  Some give out clothes or hygiene kits.  Some provide medicines.  Some provide language training.  Sometimes 'we' fund a van that goes out and looks for minors on the streets and picks them up and takes them to a shelter. Sometimes 'we' fund tents and sleeping bags b/c the camps are full.  Sometimes 'we' pay for a soccer field so they have a place to do the thing that boys love best!  Sports!  Sometimes 'we' fund musical instruments so they have a chance to dance and sing.  When we get a project approved and implemented, it's a great feeling!  We don't always get to see directly how it's helping, but we know it is helping.  

So to answer your question.  We are very happy to have been called on this mission.  As hard as it is to see the pain and sorrow in the boys eyes, it is just as great to be able to help in an indirect way by providing some of the things that will help them progress.  The girls and women that come have it even harder b/c they are vulnerable.  Most of them have been abused (boys too but almost all of the girls).  That's when I pray that Jesus will come and all the evil will end.  But till that happens all you can do is all you can do!

There has been a request from most of our family to tell them how they can help.  I wish I had a good answer.  Maybe for now, just knowing that you support your Grammie and Pop on their mission, and pray for us to spend the money wisely and to partner with honest partners who are really helping these people:  Well, for now that is all we need.

I promise that in the back of my mind I am on the look-out for how we can help.  I don't know that I will have an answer.  Just know that we are doing our best to help, and the church is spending loads and loads of money trying to help, and it's all because there are great people like you who are doing their part.  You may not see how your money helps but just know that b/c so many are generous with their money, we have the 'power' to partner with other organizations and make a difference.

Love you loads
Ciao,
Grammie

2 comments:

  1. I really really love this. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agh. This makes me want to get trained in EMDR asap so I can come help!!! I might not be rich but I have a few skills!

    ReplyDelete